Continuing education units have been applied for with the Midwifery Education and Accreditation Council (MEAC).
This workshop is for practicing midwives, OB nurses, medical students, and midwife students/apprentices who have completed at least one year of apprenticeship/schooling and have attended at least 8 deliveries, or midwife students who have completed a Midwifery Assistant workshop, and have attended at least 8 deliveries in a home birth or hospital setting.
This curriculum for the August workshop includes the following classes:
- Introduction to phlebotomy*
- Pelvic exams, pap smears, wet mounts, and Group B strep swabs*
- Placing a urinary catheter; reasons for procedure, and technique: discussion on the amazing adaptable bladder*
- Suturing: we will discuss and practice on a model several new technique’s for suturing that decreases discomfort for the mother and aids in healing.*
- Discussion on active labor: We will address resolving a shoulder dystocia, plus ways to deliver the head and shoulders of the baby over an intact perineum.
- Discussion and demonstration on surprise breech and twin deliveries (Hands-on class)
- Amish Birthing Traditions: tour of the Ethridge Amish Community, and a visit with a traditional Amish midwife
- History of The Farm Midwifery Center
- Cultural Competency – Midwives on the Move
- The Why and How of Vitamin K
- Emotional and Spiritual life of a midwife: how to be professional and stay current to what is happening
- Midwifery through the ages: A history of midwifes and childbirth in art
* Hands-on class
Suggested Reading for Advanced Workshop
- Practical Skills Guide for Midwifery (PSG), by Pam Weaver and Sharon Evans $90.00 plus p/h
- A Book for Midwives, by Susan Klein – read section on suturing $40.00 plus p/h
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $18.00 plus p/h
- Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $20.00 plus p/h
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $18.00 plus p/h
- Birth Matters: A midwife’s manifesta, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring
6-day Advanced Midwifery Workshop
Dates: August 6-11, 2017
$1500 – Register Now
See registration application for information about our cash discount.
This includes all classes, CEU fees, lab/supplies fee, and two meals a day, breakfast and supper.
Breakfasts include a hot entrée, fruit, granola, breakfast breads, eggs, coffee, tea, and dairy or non-dairy options for milk, cream cheese, and creamer.
The Farm Store provides a variety of foods, salads and homemade soups for lunches.
Lunch prices vary between $8 and $16 depending on what you purchase.
Supper will be a delicious home cooked vegetarian meal every night.
Accommodations are available within our community. See our “Accommodations” page.