Continuing education units have been applied for with the Midwifery Education and Accreditation Council (MEAC).
This workshop is for practicing midwives, OB nurses, medical students, and midwife students/apprentices who have completed at least one year of apprenticeship/schooling and have attended at least 8 deliveries, or midwife students who have completed a Midwifery Assistant workshop, and have attended at least 8 deliveries in a home birth or hospital setting.
This curriculum for the Advanced Workshop includes the following classes:
- Phlebotomy and IV therapy for midwifery practice.**
- Pelvimetry with respect; pelvic exams, pap smears and GBS swabs. **
- Group B Strep; latest information on treatment with consideration to preserving the human microbiota.
- Catherization; testing urine; reasons for procedure, and technique.**
- The Science and Art of Suturing; perineal laceration repair, evidence based methods to eliminate vaginal trauma and aid in healing. **
- Preventing and resolving a shoulder dystocia.
- Cultural Competency; practicing humility in caring for women and babies.
- Discussion on the surprise breech and twin delivery, hands on practice with model.**
- Amish traditions and how they effect birth outcomes. Includes a tour of the Ethridge Amish community and a visit with an Amish traditional midwife.
- Gestational Diabetes; new information on testing, diagnosis and diet.
- Nutrition for Pregnancy; up-to-date guidelines for vegan, vegetarian, and non-vegetarian diets.
- The effects of eannabis use during pregnancy; Is it safe or not? How will you answer the questions your clients may have?
- Childbirth through the ages as depicted in art forms; a childbirth history with slide show.
- Teen Pregnancy; how to help in today’s world.
- Breast Casting**
Please contact us by email for a complete curriculum schedule.
Suggested Reading for Advanced Workshop
- Practical Skills Guide for Midwifery (PSG), by Pam Weaver and Sharon Evans $90.00 plus p/h
- A Book for Midwives, by Susan Klein – read section on suturing $40.00 plus p/h
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $18.00 plus p/h
- Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $20.00 plus p/h
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $18.00 plus p/h
- Birth Matters: A midwife’s manifesta, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $20.00 plus p/h
6-day Advanced Midwifery Workshop
Dates: August 6-11, 2017, July 29-Aug 4, 2018
$1500 – Register Now
This includes all classes and materials fees, Continuing Education Units fees, lab/supplies fee, 3-ring notebook,and two meals a day, breakfast and supper.
Breakfasts include a hot entrée, fruit, granola, breakfast breads, eggs, coffee, tea, and dairy or non-dairy options for milk, cream cheese, and creamer.
The Farm Store provides a variety of foods, salads and homemade soups for lunches.
Lunch prices vary between $8 and $16 depending on what you purchase.
Supper will be a delicious home cooked vegetarian meal every night.
Accommodations are available within our community. See our “Accommodations” page.