This workshop is for practicing midwives, OB nurses, medical students, and midwife students/apprentices who have completed at least one year of apprenticeship/schooling and have attended at least 8 deliveries, or midwife students who have completed a Midwifery Assistant workshop, and have attended at least 8 deliveries in a home birth or hospital setting.
This curriculum for the Advanced Workshop includes the following classes:
- Phlebotomy and IV therapy for midwifery practice.**
- Pelvimetry with respect; pelvic exams, pap smears and GBS swabs. **
- Group B Strep; latest information on treatment with consideration to preserving the human microbiota.
- Catherization; testing urine; reasons for procedure, and technique.**
- The Science and Art of Suturing; perineal laceration repair, evidence based methods to eliminate vaginal trauma and aid in healing. **
- Preventing and resolving a shoulder dystocia.
- Cultural Competency; practicing humility in caring for women and babies.
- Discussion on the surprise breech and twin delivery, hands on practice with model.**
- Amish traditions and how they effect birth outcomes. Includes a tour of the Ethridge Amish community and a visit with an Amish traditional midwife.
- Gestational Diabetes; new information on testing, diagnosis and diet.
- Nutrition for Pregnancy; up-to-date guidelines for vegan, vegetarian, and non-vegetarian diets.
- The effects of eannabis use during pregnancy; Is it safe or not? How will you answer the questions your clients may have?
- Childbirth through the ages as depicted in art forms; a childbirth history with slide show.
- Teen Pregnancy; how to help in today’s world.
- Breast Casting**
Please contact us by email for a complete curriculum schedule.
Suggested Reading for Advanced Workshop
- Practical Skills Guide for Midwifery (PSG), by Pam Weaver and Sharon Evans $90.00 plus p/h
- A Book for Midwives, by Susan Klein – read section on suturing $40.00 plus p/h
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $18.00 plus p/h
- Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $20.00 plus p/h
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $18.00 plus p/h
- Birth Matters: A midwife’s manifesta, by Ina May Gaskin- read before class but optional to bring $20.00 plus p/h
6-day Advanced Midwifery Workshop
Dates: August 6-12, 2017, July 29-Aug 4, 2018
$1500 – Register Now
This includes all classes and materials fees, Continuing Education Units fees, lab/supplies fee, 3-ring notebook,and two meals a day, breakfast and supper.
Breakfasts include a hot entrée, fruit, granola, breakfast breads, eggs, coffee, tea, and dairy or non-dairy options for milk, cream cheese, and creamer.
The Farm Store provides a variety of foods, salads and homemade soups for lunches.
Lunch prices vary between $8 and $16 depending on what you purchase.
Supper will be a delicious home cooked vegetarian meal every night.
Accommodations are available within our community. See our “Accommodations” page.
What past attendees say about our Advanced Workshop:
“The workshop went above and beyond expectation, the course materials and teachings were of an excellent standard with reference to evidence based sources and anecdotal experience. The mixture of practical and theory with us of models and multimedia made for a well rounded and effective teaching style.”
“Thank you all for the most inspirational week. I had imagined that this would be a special place, however had no idea that it would touch my heart so greatly. The lessons information and holistic approach to care were incredible, but it has been the patience, wisdom and love of the instructors who have enriched my mind and soul. It has been such a privilege to experience this beautiful midwifery world here, and I have no doubt that this will be the highlight of my midwifery career. I will take every lesson learned with me throughout every day of my life.”
“The classes were planned well, delivered with passion and enthusiasm and the whole week was very special.”
“Thanks so much for the wonderful week – I especially appreciated the hands on components such as suturing & practicing w/shoulder dystocia.”
“I had a fantastic week here on The Farm. Although the days were long they were well organized and so interesting.”
“This workshop was fantastic! The highest rated things were the hands-on skills and demonstrations.”