The next 2-day hands-on workshop is scheduled for July 26-27, 2019.
Upon successfully passing this class, you will receive a “Card of Completion” from the American Academy of Pediatrics/American Heart Association Neonatal Resuscitation Program.
See required reading and book ordering instructions below.
See our “Accommodations” page.
If you have taken NRP in the past, there are a lot of changes starting in 2017, so be sure to read the info below very carefully.
You, the student, are also referred to as the “provider” or the “learner”
First – If you are taking NRP then you need to study the entire textbook. In the past there was an option to just do lesson 1-4 and 9. This is no longer an option.
Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 7th Edition American Academy of Pediatrics ISBN-13: 978-1-61002-024-4
Order your textbook by going to:
or call: 1-888-227-1770 For more information, visit www.aap.org/nrp
NRP® Provider How-to Guide https://www.aap.org/en-us/Documents/nrp_howto_instructorprovider.pdf
- Login to HealthStream
- Enroll in the 7th Edition NRP Provider Curriculum (You can find, “The Farm Midwifery Center NRP Provider Course” on HealthStream and sign up there.)
- Set up Your Master Account (HealthStream ID)
- Complete the Learning Activities in Part 1
- Print Your Certificate of Completion and bring it with you when you come to The Farm
- Complete the Learning Activities in Part 2
How Do I Get My NRP Provider Card?
You must complete the Instructor-led Event Evaluation to receive your NRP Provider eCard. (the class on The Farm)
Then you can access your eCard as follows: •
- Click on the Profile tab (at the top of the screen) •
- From the drop-down menu, choose Resuscitation Cards. •
- Click OPTIONS to the right of “NRP Provider Card.” Choose View eCard or Email eCard from the drop-down menu.
Will there be a time frame for completion of the hands on portion of the NRP course?
Upon completing the 7th Edition, NRP Provider Curriculum, learners have 90 days from completing curriculum to complete an Instructor Led Event.
NRP eSim® is a new online neonatal resuscitation simulation exercise required for achieving NRP provider status with the 7th Edition. This new methodology allows learners to integrate the NRP algorithmic steps in a virtual environment.
Ready to test drive an NRP eSim case and see what it’s all about? The Baby Jai practice case will allow you to become familiar with the NRP eSim platform, starting with the equipment checklist and progressing through a clinical scenario. You can access the practice case as many times as you would like. Enjoy this new innovative experience! Access to all NRP eSim cases is included in the NRP Provider Curriculum.
Please review the technical requirements at the bottom of the page to see if your computer will be able to do eSim)
Internet connection: 256Kb/s (32 KB/s) or above.
• Windows 7 or better with a mouse, keyboard and screen 1024 x768 or better.
• Internet Explorer 9 or better with Flash 11 or better.
• Firefox latest version with Flash 11 or better.
• Google Chrome latest version.
• OSX 10.10 or better with mouse, keyboard and screen 1024 x 768 or better.
• Safari latest version.
• Google Chrome latest version.
• 1 Gb memory or better.
• iOS 9 or better.
• Safari browser.
Hands on portion of NRP
- You will need to study the Performance Checklists at the end of lessons 2 – 7 and be ready to demonstrate that you can perform these skills.
This will be the hands on part of the class. This is what people often feel the least prepared for, so practice before you come.
- Use the scenarios in the performance checklists.
- If you do not have access to a mannequin to practice with, you can use a doll.
- Follow the flow charts on the Performance Checklists.
- It is also good to know the Knowledge Check that comes right before the checklist.
Be sure you know the following:
- The four pre-birth questions. What is the expected gestational age? Is the amniotic fluid clear? How many babies are expected? Are there any additional risk factors?
- What are the three rapid evaluation questions?
- What to do if meconium is present. (This is a big change from the past)
- What are the three ways to tell if a baby is vigorous?
- What are the “Initial Steps”?
- What three things do you evaluate the infant for during resuscitation?
- What to do if the chest does not rise during PPV? Know “MR SOPA”
- Know when to use the pulse ox.
Hands-on Practice at our class
We are excited to have a very high tech mannequin at this workshop that you will get to use to practice resuscitation.
SimNewB is an interactive simulator, designed by Laerdal with the American Academy of Pediatrics to meet the training requirements of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP). With realistic newborn traits and lifelike clinical feedback, SimNewB helps neonatal healthcare providers improve team dynamics, build confidence, and practice in a risk-free environment.
SimNewB accurately represents a full-term, 50th percentile newborn female, measuring 21 inches and weighing 7 lbs.
A wide variety of conditions can be simulated ranging from a limp, cyanotic newborn with no vital signs, to a moving, crying, vigorous newborn.
The airway is designed to allow for training in all aspects of newborn airway management, including the use of positive-pressure airway devices, and the placement of ET Tubes and LMAs.
The patent umbilicus has a life-like pulse that can be assessed, cut and catheterized for IV access.
For more information, check out NRP on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheNRP/